6 reasons why you want speech testing done in background noise. Difficulty understanding speech in background noise is the #1 complaint for listeners with hearing loss. Yet, seldom do listeners receive testing in background noise. Sometimes the reason you’re NOT tested in background noise is that the clinic doesn’t want to take the time to do the testing. We believe the testing speech in background noise is the most important series of tests you receive when complaining of difficulty understanding speech.
When doing speech in noise testing, we learn several things:
- How well you understand speech in comparison to listeners who don’t have difficulty hearing in noise.
- How well you understand speech in comparison to other listeners who have hearing loss and need help.
- What type of technology will you need to understand speech better. For example, are directional microphones necessary? Will noise reduction improve your acceptance of background noise?
- How much will technology improve your hearing and understanding.
- If you need help with your hearing and hearing instruments are the best option, we can predict whether you’re going to be successful before you start. In fact, we have a test that predicts success with amplification with a probability of 85%.
- Finally, it’s the reason you came to us! If we don’t do the testing, we can’t tell if you really have a problem.
With so much valuable information to be learned by testing speech in background noise, why wouldn’t we do it? Rest assured we will always do speech in noise testing if we think it will help you. After all, isn’t that why you came to us.Leave a reply