Hearing Aids Are Effective for Treating Tinnitus. Tinnitus is an unwanted constant sound in the ear(s) or head that’s present in the absence of any other outside sound. The most commonly reported tinnitus sound is a constant sound, such as a ring or buzz. In the US, approximately 30 million Americans struggle with tinnitus. Many suffers were told by their physician “there is nothing you can do about it. Suffers of tinnitus will often complain of difficulty hearing, concentrating, and sleeping to name just a few problems.
Recently Drs Kochkin and Tyler published a new paper on tinnitus in the United States*. Their research showed a more than 50% of tinnitus suffers noted an improvement in their tinnitus when evaluated and properly fit with hearing aids. They found a link between the use comprehensive audiological services to fit hearing aid and improvement in tinnitus. They specifically looked at the following practices:
- Hearing tested in a sound treated booth
- Use of real ear measurement for verification
- Loudness discomfort measurements
- Customer satisfaction measurements
- Comprehensive post fitting follow up
When comprehensive audiological services are used to fit hearing aids, there is a greater likelihood that tinnitus suffers will not only hearing better, but also note improvement in their tinnitus.
While there is no cure for tinnitus, there is help. If you suffer from tinnitus and need help, contact your local audiologist and schedule a comprehensive audiological evaluation of your hearing.
* Marketrak VIII: The Prevalence of Tinnitus in the United States and the Self-reported Efficacy of Various Treatments, November 2011Leave a reply